Na Prikope, Prague 1
October, March: Mon - Sun 10 - 20
Adults 75 CZK
In the past the Old Town of Prague had its fortification walls and many watch towers, which were also used as entrances to the town. On the place of the today’s Powder Gate stood an older tower, however, in 1457 it was decided that this one should be replaced by a magnificent new tower; however, the tower was never finished in the middle ages and therefore had no real function until the half of the 18th century, when it was used as a storage place of gun powder – hence its name Powder Gate (before it was called New Gate). The tower finally got finished and reconstructed at the end of the 19th century by Josef Mocker. The Old Town Bridge Tower served as the model for the reconstruction, during the reconstruction the statues or rulers were added to the tower.